




On Wednesday the 28th of November we finally put up our Christmas Tree. Not only was the 28th our (Brian & Brandi) fourth anniversary it was the fifth time we've decorated a Christmas tree together. Brian and I love Christmas and the spirit that is felt at this time of year, so it was very fitting to celebrate our anniversary by decorating for the holiday. We are happy that Heith and Haiden are finally getting old enough to start participating in our family traditions. They are such good boys and big helpers! They really love to do everything that Mommy and Daddy do.
Brian and I have decorated a Christmas tree together five times but this year was a first for us... we decorated it with the kids ornaments. The other four years I've decorated our tree with pretty bows, ribbon, glass balls, stars, garland, and lights. I would call it mommy's tree and it always turned out beautiful, but its so fun to have a tree with ornaments from my childhood and the beginnings of my children's childhood.
Our usual Christmas decor is quiet extensive. However, this year is very different with Brian deploying soon after Christmas and my short legs. We have narrowed it down from six boxes to only one and a tree. That way it is easier to take everything down after Christmas is over. Its a little different with out the other five boxes, but we aren't lacking in Christmas spirit!
Some of our favorite Christmas traditions or things we do to celebrate the holiday include: an advent calendar, a gingerbread house, a cup of hot cocoa or apple cider, making homemade treats for our neighbors, seeing all the Christmas lights, putting up a tree, reading the nativity story, listening to and singing Christmas carols and hymns, reading touching Christmas stories, watching Christmas movies, being with family and friends, and of course eating good food.
Whats under our tree? Since I love Christmas time and all my decorations, I also would love for them to stay intact so I can use them every year (some of the "things" are very special to me). My solution was to give my kids something that they could touch or play with, and put it under the tree. We don't wrap and keep our presents under our tree cause the presents wouldn't stay wrapped (we bring those out on the 24th). We instead keep our children's personal nativities, nativity books, and Christmas train under the tree for them to enjoy. Its been a great alternative for our family so far. I then hope that our kids stay more focused on the true meaning of Christmas instead of the number of gifts and what everyone is getting. It also has really helped keep them away from the things I would rather them not touch.
Its fun to be our own family and to learn to grow together, bringing some of the Hansen's traditions, and the Hocker's traditions, and mixing them together to make our own traditions.
Christmas is a wonderful time of year, a time of love, service, and most importantly a time to reflect on the birth and life of our Savior Jesus Christ. We hope that you all enjoy this Christmas Season.
5 comments:
WOW it looks spectacular! And the boys are so cute - having their hair combed makes them look so grown up! It's great to hear about your own family traditions. Glad you're getting in the spirit of Christmas.
Love it Brandi (& Brian!). You guys are doing so well and I am so proud of you both. I love the little nativity under the tree. You have a nativity for each of the boys? Interesting. Can't wait to see you next weekend.
I like the idea of the nativity under the tree too. Good looking tree! See you on Saturday!
Your tree looks great and I love the pictures of the boys! They are such good lookin' kiddos. We have our tree up, it's a small tree and so we were able to put it on our dining room table ( sounds weird but it actually works well and it's safe from Leah this way :D)Have you found someone to rent your house yet? I'll call you soon
That is so fun to be able to put a tree with meaningful ornaments on it. Dan and I love their shirts. It is such a good idea to have stuff for them to be able to touch and play with too! I'll have to remember that!
Post a Comment